ABAP, set to revolutionize SAP S/4HANA
Prepare yourself, optimize your skills and get ready for a quantum leap.
A major topic when moving to SAP S/4HANA is the renewed ABAP programming model that SAP S/4HANA introduces. This programming model is based on the following major principles:
- Provide a single and simplified user experience using SAP Fiori apps rather than SAP GUI transactions.
- Unify transactional applications and analytics by leveraging SAP HANA’s OLTP and OLAP processing and columnar store database power.
- Provide a unified, reusable semantic and virtual data model based on “Core Data Services” (CDS), acting as the glue between applications and the HANA database, ready for high-performance enterprise applications.
- Full extensibility for Fiori UIs as well as all other SAP S/4HANA functionalities through embedded OData API and API generation.
- Finally, new and state-of-the-art developer IDE for both ABAP (Eclipse) and Fiori (Web IDE) packed with developer productivity tools such as smart templates, wizards, code snippets, …
ABAP is changing in a revolutionary way. Prepare your SAP, your developer teams and most of all: prepare yourself to go full throttle with new technologies such as ABAP 7.5, CDS and Fiori (SAPUI5).
What do you have to do when you consider a move to SAP S/4HANA?
A clear view on the tasks at hand is essential. This will not only maximize the project quality, but also minimize the risks. A SAP S/4HANA custom code assessment is the perfect stepping stone to achieve this:
- Analyze, inventorize & document custom code impact for your SAP S/4HANA project (read more about custom code on our dedicated blog)
- Document all your custom code objects including their actual usage in production
- Define the scope of the custom code migration: which objects are still required?
- Prioritize (MoSCoW principles) custom code migration actions: mandatory modifications, optional optimizations, and functional innovations.
- Estimate the budget of the final list of custom code migration actions.
The good news is: this can be done completely beforehand, in the preparation phase. There is NO SAP S/4HANA system required! If you want some help during this phase?
Also take into account that the basic skillsets of your development team will be put to the test. Arm yourself with Fiori, ABAP, CDS & global coding and quality standards, because SAP S/4HANA combines all core SAP technologies with tomorrow’s innovations.
At Flexso, we get a kick out of empowering your teams by providing dedicated and focused trainings and on the job coaching. Because like none other, we know that the whole is greater than the sum of all parts. Take a look at the chart below and find out which of our training sessions suits your business.
Tinder for researchers
How machine learning helps optimize the grant application processRead the full article
We are happy to share our knowledge with you
Be the first to read how Flexso tackles real-life scenarios and make the most of our tips based on experience and practical cases.